Assessment, Planning, and Communications (APC) is a core public health service put in place to identify, evaluate, and understand conditions of public health importance, including: chronic and communicable disease; environmental hazards; health disparities; determinants of health; and injury.
APC helps determine what strategies are needed to improve the health of all, what threats need immediate attention, and the appropriate means in communicating this information to our communities.
Director | 970 335 2044
Assessment & Planning Specialist | 970 335 2048
Communications Specialist | 970 335 2025
As a result of the Colorado Public Health Act of 2008, San Juan Basin Public Health began collecting health data and input from community members and stakeholders to create a Community Health Assessment (CHA) for Archuleta and La Plata counties. With completion in 2012 of the assessment, SJBPH then created its five-year Public Health Improvement Plan (PHIP), which was approved by the Board of Health in December 2013.
The next cycle of our CHA is underway and will be implemented in a new PHIP in 2018.
Our Assessment duties also include:
- Program evaluation
- Ongoing data collection within SJBPH and community as a whole
- Participation in integrated state, local, and national surveillance system(s) that quantify public health and environmental problems and threats
In determing community health problems, priority populations, and potential threats to the public’s health, SJBPH plans what strategies are needed to engage partners and improve health for all. The Public Health Improvement Plan has seven goals:
- Provide a baseline by which to monitor change
- Identify emerging issues
- Help the community set health priorities and focus resources
- Provide facts upon which to base programmatic or organizational decisions
- Help partners to plan effective, collaborative interventions
- Increase the ability to secure new funding
- Support advocacy for policy changes
Communications is responsible for disseminating the public health information that is important to the well-being of residents and visitors, as well as telling the stories of our programs and the lives they touch. APC also informs the public and key stakeholders the results of the Community Health Assessment and local Public Health Improvement Plan so as to inform community policies and ensure health for all.
The most recent information from our many programs can be found on our Newsfeed.