SJBPH’s Environmental Health program provides water testing for La Plata County residents. Water Bacteriology testing determines the absence or presence of Total Coliform and E.Coli bacteria.
A test bottle and requisition form must first be obtained from the Durango SJBPH front desk. The cost of this test is $25.00 and results are usually provided within 24 hours.
Water Lab Services
EH Main Line | 970 335 2052
Water Lab | 970 335 2039
A test bottle and request form must first be obtained from the Durango SJBPH front desk.
Directions for taking samples:
- Use only bottles issued from SJBPH for taking samples. No others will be accepted.
- Samples from faucet; allow water to run freely for five minutes. Samples from hand pump; pump well for 5 minutes.
- Do not rinse bottle. Substance in bottle preserves water in a state suitable for test.
- Fill bottle within one inch of bottle top. Replace lid immediately. Do not touch inside of lid or bottle.
- Do not collect sample from a swinging faucet nor from one with a strainer or aerator.
In order to be notified with test results, the requisition form must include applicable contact information. The sample must be received within 30 hours of collection.
SJBPH’s Environmental Health (EH) program performs On-Site Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS) inspections and water testing to determine adequacy and potability.
Visit On-Site Wastewater Treatment Systems page.