San Juan Basin Public Health’s Water Lab provides water testing for La Plata County residents. Water Bacteriology testing determines the absence or presence of Total Coliform and E.Coli bacteria. The Water Lab also provides wastewater testing for public wastewater systems.
Samples are accepted Monday through Thursday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Samples are not accepted on Fridays.
San Juan Basin Public Health will be closed on Monday, December 24th and Tuesday, December 25th in observance of the Christmas holiday, and on Monday, December 31st and Tuesday, January 1st for the New Year. The lab will not accept biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) samples on Monday, December 17th or Tuesday, December 18th. The lab will accept all other types of samples on these days.
EH Main Line | 970 335 2052
Water Lab | 970 335 2039
Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
A test bottle and requisition form must first be obtained from the Durango SJBPH front desk. The cost of this test is $25.00 and results are usually provided within 24 hours. The sample must be received and tested within 30 hours of collection. As such, the Water Lab cannot receive samples on Friday. Samples are accepted Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. only.
Directions for taking samples:
- Use only bottles issued from SJBPH for taking samples. No others will be accepted.
- Samples from faucet; allow water to run freely for five minutes. Samples from hand pump; pump well for 5 minutes.
- Do not rinse bottle. Substance in bottle preserves water in a state suitable for test.
- Fill bottle within one inch of bottle top. Replace lid immediately. Do not touch inside of lid or bottle.
- Do not collect sample from a swinging faucet nor from one with a strainer or aerator.
In order to be notified with test results, the requisition form must include applicable contact information.
SJBPH’s Environmental Health (EH) program performs On-Site Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS) inspections and water testing to determine adequacy and potability.
Visit On-Site Wastewater Treatment Systems page.