Board of Health
Regular Meeting Schedule
Thursday, February 23, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Thursday, April 27, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Thursday, June 29, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Thursday, September 28, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Thursday, October 26, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Thursday, November 16, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Thursday, December 14, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Friday, March 31, 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Thursday, June 1, 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday, June 13, 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
Thursday, August 10, 4:00 p.m.
Monday, August 28, 3:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas and agenda packets are available prior to each board meeting. Minutes for the meetings are available after approval by the board at the subsequent meeting.
Shere Byrd, President
Dr. Jon Bruss, Vice President
Terryl Peterson, Treasurer
Bob Ledger, Member
Isabel Vita, Member
Marsha Porter-Norton, La Plata County Commissioner
Warren Brown, Archuleta County Commissioner
Colorado Public Health Act of 2008
Colorado State law requires each county to establish and maintain a county public health agency or participate in a district public health agency (C.R.S. §25-1-506). San Juan Basin Public Health was formed as a district public health agency through a joint resolution between La Plata County and Archuleta County. The joint resolution also determined that SJBPH would be governed by a seven-member Board of Health to include one county commissioner from Archuleta County and one county commissioner from La Plata County, both of whom are ex-officio voting members.
The remaining five members of the Board of Health are appointed by the SJBPH Appointments Committee from members of the general public in both counties with education and/or experience in finance or a public health discipline, such as environmental health, health education, medicine, epidemiology, health administration/policy, nursing, public administration, health administration, or a closely related discipline. Board members serve five-year, staggered terms. Board membership is a voluntary position.
Per the Colorado Public Health Act of 2008 (C.R.S. §25-1-501 et seq.), the SJBPH Board of Health is responsible for:
- Selecting a public health director
- Approving a five-year local public health plan
- Determining necessary services and setting local priorities consistent with State public health laws and rules
- Administering and enforcing public health laws, rules, orders, and standards of the State, as well as orders and rules set by the Board of Health itself
- Conducting hearings, administering oaths, subpoenaing witnesses and taking testimony in all matters relating to their powers and duties
- Annually reviewing the costs of maintaining the local public health agency and assessing fees to offset actual, direct costs of environmental health services