Assessment, Planning, & Communications
Assessment, Planning, and Communications (APC) is a core public health service put in place to identify, evaluate, and understand conditions of public health importance, including chronic and communicable disease, environmental hazards, health disparities, determinants of health, and injury. APC helps determine what strategies are needed to improve the health of all, public health priorities in the communities it serves, and the appropriate means in communicating this information to our communities.
Assessment & Planning Director | 970.335.2045
Communications Director | 970.335.2044
Assessment & Planning Specialist | 970.335.2048
Communications Specialist | 970.335.2025
As a result of the Colorado Public Health Act of 2008, San Juan Basin Public Health is required to collect health data and input from community members and stakeholders and to create a Community Health Assessment (CHA) for Archuleta and La Plata counties. With completion in 2012 of its first assessment, SJBPH then created a five-year Public Health Improvement Plan (PHIP), which was approved by the Board of Health in December 2013.
See our current CHA and PHIP by clicking on the the flip boxes below.
Our Assessment duties also include:
- Program evaluation
- Ongoing data collection within SJBPH and community as a whole
- Participation in integrated state, local, and national surveillance system(s) that quantify public health and environmental problems and threats
In determing community health problems, priority populations, and potential threats to the public’s health, SJBPH plans what strategies are needed to engage partners and improve health for all. The Public Health Improvement Plan has seven goals:
- Provide a baseline by which to monitor change
- Identify emerging issues
- Help the community set health priorities and focus resources
- Provide facts upon which to base programmatic or organizational decisions
- Help partners to plan effective, collaborative interventions
- Increase the ability to secure new funding
- Support advocacy for policy changes
The most recent information from our many programs can be found on our Newsfeed.