San Juan Basin Public Health’s Water Lab provides water testing for residents of Southwest Colorado. Water bacteriology testing determines the absence or presence of Total Coliform and E.Coli bacteria. The Water Lab also provides wastewater testing for public wastewater systems.
Samples are accepted Monday through Thursday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Samples are not accepted on Fridays.
San Juan Basin Public Health will be closed on January 20 and February 17in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Washington’s Birthday.
EH Main Line | 970 335 2052
Water Lab | 970 335 2039
Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
SJBPH encourages everyone who relies on a private well for their drinking water supply to test their water annually for bacteria contamination. A test bottle and requisition form may be obtained from the Durango SJBPH front desk. The cost of this test is $25.00 and results are usually provided within 24 hours. The sample must be received and tested within 30 hours of collection. As such, the Water Lab cannot receive samples on Friday. Samples are accepted Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. only.
Directions for taking samples:
- Use only bottles issued from SJBPH for taking samples. No others will be accepted.
- Samples from faucet: use a non-aerated tap and first allow water to run freely for five minutes. Samples from hand pump: pump well for 5 minutes.
- Do not rinse bottle. Substance in bottle preserves water in a state suitable for test.
- Fill bottle within one inch of bottle top. Replace lid immediately. Do not touch inside of lid or bottle.
- Do not collect sample from a swinging faucet nor from one with a strainer or aerator.
In order to be notified with test results, the requisition form must include applicable contact information.
The SJBPH water lab performs basic water chemistry testing for public wastewater systems and for purposes of permitting some commercial On-site Wastewater Treatment Systems.
For a current list of wastewater services and pricing, see the environmental health fee schedule posted below. Additional testing services may be performed by special arrangement between the customer, SJBPH, and the Laboratory Services Division of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment; shipping and handling charges may apply.