San Juan Basin Public Health (SJBPH) reports that some COVID-19 vaccine doses expected to arrive in Colorado last week were delayed after a winter storm impacted distribution hubs. The winter weather delayed vaccine shipments to all 50 states.
The delayed shipments mean some vaccine providers in Archuleta and La Plata counties did not receive a supply of vaccine for first dose appointments this week. Rather than reschedule or cancel appointments, vaccine providers will not make first dose appointments until more vaccine is received.
Even with limited supply, vaccine providers in the region are on track to fulfill all second dose appointments. If second dose appointments need to be delayed, vaccine providers will contact their existing patients directly. For patients of SJBPH, including the community site at the La Plata County Fairgrounds, there is no need to contact SJBPH or the Fairgrounds volunteer team to inquire about the status of second dose appointments.
- As of Monday, February 22, 70% of the 70+ population in Archuleta and La Plata counties have received a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine. The state’s goal is to vaccinate 70% of the 70+ population statewide by February 28.
- Colorado also set goals to vaccinate at least 55% of phase 1B.2, which includes Coloradans ages 65-69 and educators — by March 5. Archuleta and La Plata counties were able to get 75% of educators their first shot within a week, well ahead of the state’s goals.
SJPBH continues to urge everyone to follow these important public health precautions:
- Wearing face masks
- Social distancing of at least 6 feet
- Avoiding nonessential indoor spaces, and gatherings with others not in your household
- Avoiding travel
- Washing hands well
- Getting tested if you have symptoms, think you’ve been exposed, or work in a high contact environment
- Getting the COVID-19 vaccine when it becomes available
For the most up to date information on vaccine providers or to sign up for vaccine notification emails, visit SJBPH’s website: https://sjbpublichealth.org/covid-19-vaccine/. Regional vaccine distribution information can be found on SJBPH’s data dashboard: https://sjbpublichealth.org/sjbph-data-dashboard/.